Tuesday, December 1, 2020

My First Pen Pal

Think back to the last time you wrote anything on paper. It could have been a page of notes from a class, or it could have been a short grocery list. No matter the subject, writing will always play a role in your life. The skill of writing is important for the skill of patience, as it takes longer than typing or texting. One way to communicate by writing regularly is by getting a pen pal.


What is a Pen Pal?

A pen pal is someone that you communicate with regularly through letters. Often, a pen pal is someone you have never met, allowing you to become friends by writing. They can either be international or from the same country.


  • How I Began Pen Palling: 
    Writing has always been a hobby of mine and when I “met” my first pen pal, I loved it even more! Pen pal programs often begin in schools, but for me it was much different. My interest in writing letters started when my oldest sister, Elizabeth, got her first pen pal. She had exchanged names through a magazine. I loved to be on her “tail” and do everything she did, so when I turned eight, I wanted a pen pal too!

Elizabeth eventually left for college, so we exchanged a few letters throughout the four years of her college life. This allowed me to get a little writing practice too.


  • My First Pen Pal: 
    Around the same time, my mom was part of an email list with other moms. A few of them had exchanged names of their daughters. I was given an eight-year-old named Emily and she was from a state I’d never visited: Florida. On October 13, 2011, I received my first out of state letter. It was only a few lines, but how excited I was! 

My first letter from Emily.

I’ve never traveled outside the Midwest, yet I’ve learned so much about Florida and feel as though I’ve been there. Of course, this has been possible through my letters to and from Emily. With items as simple as a pen and paper, we have become best friends.  

Exchanging pictures, recipes, art, and stickers is a favorite of ours!

  • Through the Years: 

I never imagined that Emily and I would stay pen pals for this many years, as I’d heard of some pen pals only exchanging a few letters and then never hearing from each other again. However, we have very similar hobbies and interests, so our letters never get old.

We only exchanged six letters during the first year, but with each year we have written more. Every time I write a reply, I get excited for the next letter to arrive in my mailbox. Each letter or card gets put in a special purple binder labeled “Emily” and sorted by year. I can easily find and reread all of her letters since 2011. 


  • My Favorite Mailbox Trip: 
    Although I appreciate and love every letter, I do have a favorite piece of snail mail. A couple years ago, Emily sent me her first of many handmade cards. After taking a small “trip” through my porch and onto the front steps, I discovered a decorated envelope. I opened it and discovered a colorful card that had stamps, stickers, and many drawings on it. This was when I truly treasured our friendship and knew we would stay friends for many years to come. I was very grateful for the time she took to make it personal. 

In addition to exchanging letters and other goodies, we love making envelope art to spice everything up a bit! From adding stickers to paintings, it all makes a difference when it arrives in the mailbox. 

Recent envelope art (made by my amazing brother, Esteban) displaying Minnesota's Cherry on a Spoon. 
I hope I’ve inspired you to go write a letter to that special someone in your life, whether that’s a friend you haven’t talked to in a while or a family member who lives far away. 

Comment below if you've ever had a pen pal and what you thought of it. If not, stay tuned for next week when I'll be back sharing some tips on how to find a pen pal. 

-Miss K

8 comments:

  1. I love writing letters, but I haven't so far been able to find a pen pal who shares my love of letters; all my friends are too busy. So I've had several short-term pen pals, but nothing that lasted nearly as long as your first pen pal!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, writing letters is so much fun! Back when I started, I actually had four pen pals, but only this is my only one that lasted and wrote back.

      Delete
  2. Well, I'm your sister so you know I love writing letters too! I've had a few penpals over the years, but the longest I've ever written to the same penpal is 19 years and counting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup, and if it wasn't for your pen pals, I probably wouldn't have one either.

      Delete
  3. Hey, Miss K!
    I love getting snail mail and I always joke about how it takes me weeks to answer an email and only hours to answer a physical letter, but it's true. I've been writing letters for as long as I can remember, but I only got my first official penpal a few years ago. We're usually too busy to write letters to each other any more, but we email each other frequently. Fun post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love responding to letters quickly too! It's much more fun than responding to an email.

      Delete
  4. I had one penpal, put I only got one letter from him, so I don't have quite the letter-making experience as you, Miss K! But I do like making envelope art for fellow penpallers.

    ReplyDelete