Thursday, December 10, 2020

Finding a Pen Pal

Welcome back! My brain is too full of calculus and complicated homework problems so I decided that it is time for another post. :) Today, I will be introducing you to my favorite way to find a pen pal. In addition to building friendships, having a pen pal can help you learn a foreign language and learn about other cultures and places of the world. 

(I better get busy writing since I now have decorated envelopes): 

My current collection of envelopes made by my wonderful brother

Global Penfriends:
Although there are many ways to find a pen pal, I want to introduce you to one specific website: Global Penfriends. Exchanging names through magazines used to be very common for finding pen pals, but with the technology of today, it has become faster and easier to find one through various websites. 

  • Safety and Security:
When I found my first pen pal, I didn't have to worry about security because my mom knew the family of my pen pal. However, there are many pen pal websites out there and they may not always be safe to use. I only have experience using Global Penfriends, which is very safe. It has been family owned and operated since 1995 and was one of the first pen pal websites to be created. Additionally, every profile created must be approved by a human administrator. This means that it is free of spam and other fake profiles. Lastly, there are over 3,000 reviews on their website from many users, which shows it is trustworthy. 

  • Variety and Search Options: 
After your profile is approved, you are can start searching for your pen pal. I like the fact that there are so many options to search for others. For example, you can search by gender, age, country, and different types of interests or hobbies. 

  • Messaging: 
The last part that I liked about Global Penfriends is their messaging system. For the free version, you are allowed 1 contact credit every 24 hours. However, you only receive one at a time, meaning that the credits don't add up over time. To contact someone, you simply press the message button and you can chat with that person. The message then goes to that person's email, so it is similar to sending an email, but without having to share it directly. There is also an option to send a smile to someone, letting he or she know that you are interested in becoming pen pals. This can be used when you run out of contact credits. 

(credit)

In all, I enjoyed my experience with this website and I was successful in finding myself a pen pal. Originally, I wanted to find an international pen pal, but I found two from the United States. I did find one from Germany and we have sent a few letters, but we mostly keep in touch through email. I strongly recommend this website if you're looking into finding a pen pal. 



How did you find your pen pal? What kind of posts would you like to see in the future? 

-Miss K

2 comments:

  1. Ooh, this sounds like a great way of finding pen pals! I'll have to check it out.

    ReplyDelete