Saturday, February 6, 2021

Week 5: Thank a Mailman Day

Happy February! I hope you are all having a great start to the 2021 year. In January, I wrote 10 letters so I think I'll be successful in finishing this challenge. Today is the last day of week 5 so it's time to mail out that letter, if you haven't already! This week's letter went to my fabulous mailman because Thursday was "Thank a Mailman Day". The mail carriers do a lot of work that goes unnoticed so it would be the perfect week to thank him or her. Of course, I'll give you some history about the mail system before I share my pictures. :)

Important Dates:
1775: Benjamin Franklin became the first Postmaster General 
1847: Postage stamps created
1860: Start of the Pony Express
1963: Zip code created
1992: Self adhesive stamps came into use
2007: Forever stamp introduced

Before the introduction of prepaid stamps, the postage could be paid by the sender or it was left for the recipient to pay. This eventually led to a more efficient system of requiring a prepaid stamp before the mail could be sent. 


Week 5:
I didn't get a picture of the actual letter, but there are some pictures of the envelope and a couple drawings. 

A mail themed envelope, but all the credit goes to
my older brother. Thanks Esteban!

A mail truck drawing drawn by my younger
brother, Superman

A drawing of letters and envelopes drawn by
my younger sister, Nancy
Bonus Fact:
Those mail trucks driving around town are cool, right? But how cool would it be to have your mail delivered by mule, yes MULE? In the Grand Canyon, there is a very small village called Supai, with a a population of about 208 people. For six days a week, the mailman loads their mail onto a "train" of mules to deliver their mail, mostly supplies and food. The current mailman, Hank Delaney, has been delivering mail by mule since 1999 to the village of Supai. It is a three hour trip from the top of the canyon down to the village, which totals to around a 3,000 foot drop. 

The train of mules! (credit)


Further Reading/Sources:
https://about.usps.com/who-we-are/postal-history/
https://www.si.edu/stories/mules-still-deliver-mail-grand-canyon


"Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed rounds." -USPS Unofficial Motto

Have you ever celebrated "Thank a Mailman Day"? What is your favorite item that you've ever received in the mail?   

-Miss K

4 comments:

  1. So cool! Did the mailman like your letter? I have written 9 letters so far this year. :) You should write a post on tips for what to write in a letter when you don't know what to write.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I think he liked it. That would be a great idea for a post. :)

      Delete